Root canal therapy is one of the most common dental procedures in America, but it has a bit of a bad reputation in popular culture. In reality, root canals are painless and simple, and they are no more invasive than having a filling for a cavity. There is really no reason to fear root canals!
Curious to learn more about root canal therapy at Brite Clean Smiles? Here’s some things you should know:
What Is A Root Canal?
A root canal is a procedure that involves removing infected pulp and bacteria from a tooth. Your teeth are made up of multiple layers, and if bacteria makes it past the outer enamel and dentin, it can make its way to the inner part of the tooth (the “pulp”) and cause serious damage.
The pulp is filled with nerves and blood vessels and it is what supports your tooth. If the pulp becomes infected, this can be extremely painful and lead to things like toothaches and migraines. If this infection is not treated, the tooth will die, and eventually fall out.
During a root canal at Brite Clean Smiles, Dr. Mina Girgis will disinfect the damaged area and remove bacteria. After this, Dr. Girgis will fill the space left behind with a rubbery material called “gutta percha”, which replaces your pulp and supports your tooth.
Finally, the tooth is sealed with a filling or a temporary crown, and a permanent crown is usually placed at a later appointment to protect the tooth from re-infection.
Why Would I Need A Root Canal? Common Causes And Symptoms
Tooth decay and impact injuries are the two most common reasons that a patient would need root canal therapy.
Tooth decay can eat away at the exterior of the tooth, allowing bacteria to infect the pulp. Impact injuries can cause the outer parts of the tooth to crack, allowing bacteria inside the tooth.
Common symptoms of an infected tooth that require a root canal include:
- Pain and discomfort in the tooth
- Discoloration around the gumline
- Grayish or discolored tooth
What Are The Benefits Of A Root Canal?
Choosing to have a root canal has a number of benefits. It’s the ideal way to treat an infected tooth:
- Saves your existing tooth – If your tooth falls out due to infection, you’ll need to replace it with a restoration (a dental bridge, denture, or implant). These dental prosthetics are much more costly than a root canal, and a root canal allows you to keep your natural tooth intact.
- Relieves pain and discomfort – The pain of a serious toothache can be eliminated in just a single appointment, allowing you to get your life back to normal.
- Efficient and inexpensive – Root canals only take about half an hour, and the procedure is very simple. Additionally, root canals are typically covered by insurance plans, making them a cost effective solution. This procedure can save you both time and money in the long run.
Contact Us Today For Root Canals In Orange County!
Whether you have an infected tooth in Newport Beach or Costa Mesa, Dr. Girgis and the team of Costa Mesa dentists at Brite Clean Smiles are here to help! We offer emergency appointments for root canals, so we can relieve the pain and discomfort of an infected tooth.
Contact us now to schedule an appointment at (949) 777-1005, or come to our office at 488 East 17th Street, Suite A-101, Costa Mesa, CA, 92627. We hope to see you soon!